Thursday 22 February 2018

A Fan's Perspective - An Interview With Michael William Petry



I wanted to try something different with the interviews I normally do. Over the years I've interviewed bands, record label owners, PR Reps and Gig Promoters. I want to talk to a real fan from the Doom/Sludge/Stoner Metal community. Get their thoughts on the scene in general.

The fan is perhaps the most important part of any band or scene needed to survive upon.

If this interview is received well by our readers I will interview a few more folks within the Hard Rock/Heavy Metal scene.

My first interview subject is Michael William Petry. Michael has been an active supporter of Outlaws Of The Sun from the start. He's actively supported my work and the work of many other great blogs and websites currently out there.

Michael is a huge fan of the Doom/Sludge and Stoner Metal scene. Some of you maybe friends with Michael on Facebook. As he's an active supporter of many great bands.

Enjoy the interview....

Hi Michael. Thanks for doing this. How did you become a fan of the Doom, Sludge and Stoner Metal scene.

Well I first heard Kyuss at school, 1997 specifically and then bought all their albums. There was a guy in town with a pop-up CD shop. He had all the killer imports like all the Man’s Ruin stuff. So I just got most of the cool ones he had. And then went online and found Stonerrock.com

Which bands did you start supporting or following first.

Alice In Chains, Kyuss, Fu Manchu, Tool, Datura, Melvins, Brant Bjork

Do you still love these bands to the current day.

Absolutely yeah. AIC and Kyuss are still my top 2. And the others are always on regular rotation.

Who are your favourite bands/artists to listen to this day.

Kyuss, Brant Bjork, Fu Manchu, Mastodon, Tool, Deftones, Alice In Chains. So many more I could list but those would be the ones I would consider my favourites. Anything with a great riff or some heavy.

In your own words what’s it like being a fan in today’s Doom/Sludge/Stoner Metal community.

It’s very cool with the way social media works that I can share and chat with other fans worldwide. And I love that a lot of the bands in the genre are great to interact with online too. To get that connection with the bands is something I love about the community. The fans all around the globe seem to be the coolest people for the most part.

Any advantages or disadvantages supporting the music we love and know.

Advantages are the community is so cool worldwide. Disadvantages for me probably just the cost of vinyl shipping to NZ and along with that not many of the bands tour here.

You’re very active supporting a high amount of bands and blogs within the community. Do you find it a struggle keeping up with everything. Or do you have your favourite websites to find the latest news and reviews.

Not too much of a struggle I suppose with the number of blogs, social media pages etc. I follow some great blogs like yours for example, Echoes & Dust, The Obelisk, Doomed & Stoned and various Facebook groups/pages.

What is your preferred choice of listening to music. CD, Digital, Cassette, Vinyl, Mini-Disc.

Definitely digital just for the convenience of my lifestyle. But clearly you can’t beat the sound of vinyl.

Do you buy a lot of physical music or do you just buy Digital Downloads.

These days I only really buy physical copies of a handful of my favourite bands. My CD collection is in the hundreds so at some point I called it easier to just purchase digitally for the most part.

You’ve been to a lot of great gigs over the years. What have been your favourite gigs that you’ve attended
.
Kyuss Lives, I was front row at the sold out show in Auckland. Brant Bjork, each time was awesome but the 2nd one in 2014 stands out because that was the first time I met my hero. QOTSA (front row again), Tool with Melvins, Mastodon, Fu Manchu with Brant on drums, Them Crooked Vultures, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Heaven & Hell with Down.

Michael And BRANT BJORK

You’ve met a few of your musical heroes as well. Who have been your favourite bands/artists that you’ve met in real life.

Definitely Brant Bjork, he was just very cool and super great to chat to. All of the guys in his band line-ups were the same. Meeting Zakk Wylde was also very memorable.

You’re from New Zealand which has a great reputation in giving the world some fantastic Doom/Stoner Metal bands such as BEASTWARS, Triumphs, Arc Of Ascent, The House Of Capricorn, Bloodnut and many others that I’ve forgot to mention. What is the Doom/Sludge/Stoner Metal scene like there for a fan. Do you get to see many gigs in your part of the country. Do you travel further afield to see gigs.

The scene here is great. There is always a great buzz at the gigs because we only get a select few to attend. And there is a lot of fans that will travel quite far to see the gigs too. Like me, there is very rarely an international band playing a gig in my city. But Arc Of Ascent are from here so that is a positive. Not that they play here very often anyway. I have to travel 1.5 hours to Auckland which is where most of the gigs happen.

Do many international bands/artists tour New Zealand on a regular basis. Or is it only on rare occasions. As I know more and more bands are touring Australia at the moment. Do you wish they would visit New Zealand as well to perform gigs.

I would say there is a decent international rock/metal band here just about every month. As far as the Doom/Sludge/Stoner scene though we don’t get all that many. Maybe on a decent year we would get 10 great gigs, which usually are the ones that are touring Australia but some of them do skip New Zealand.

I know you have your normal daily life to contend with. Young family and your job. How hard is it for you to listen to music.

I’ve always got to start the day with some great tunes so I do always have my iPhone or MP3 player in my pocket with music loaded. And I do listen on my drive to and from work. I can’t listen during work time only on breaks which I hate because there is so much great stuff to listen to.

Well Michael. Thanks for doing this interview. Much appreciated. I want to thank you for your never-ending support over the last few years or so.

Words by Steve Howe and Michael William Petry

Thanks to Michael for taking the time out to do this interview.