Monday 5 June 2017

Tiberius - The Beautiful Ones (EP Review)


Release date: May 20th 2017. Label: Self Released. Format: CD/DD

The Beautiful Ones – Tracklisting

1.Without Hesitation 04:56
2.Cult of Adonis 04:45
3.Sderot Cinema 04:08
4.The Beautiful Ones 05:53

Band Members:

Grant Barclay - Vocals;
Chris Foster - Guitar;
Jahan Tabrizi - Guitar;
Ryan Anderson - Bass;
Edersson Joffre - Drums

Review

I don't know why I'm reviewing Tiberius new EP – The Beautiful Ones. They're not exactly Outlaws Of The Sun Material. As Tiberius play proggy-tech-hardcore-heavy metal kind of sound. Whilst we feature more Doom/Sludge/Stoner kind of stuff.

Though I have to admit The Beautiful Ones is super damn catchy at times. I used to listen to this kind of music in my younger years quite religiously. Now, not so much. Though this was a pleasant surprise to hear Tiberius doing a bang-up job in creating superb progressive tech metal riffs with some hints of absolute madness thrown in.

Opening track – Without Hesitation – has a cool Iron Maiden NWOBHM influence wrapped up in progressive tech metal riffs. The vocals feel they were influenced by Bruce Dickinson with lead singer Grant on impressive form from the start. The riffs are played with deadly precision and they leave you gasping for breath at times. These guys can play and I mean really PLAY!!!!

Second track – Cult Of Adonis – has elements of djent noises spliced with their familiar hard rock/heavy metal sounds. It's another fast paced track that will go down a storm with the metalcore/NWOBHM crew.

The final two tracks – Sderot Cinema and The Beautiful Ones – carry on the crazed madness as Tiberius can't decide if they want to be primarily a progressive rock/metal band or something more brutal and heavier. The keyboards did make me feel I was listening to an 80s/80s computer game at times. Maybe I'm too old now (40 years old currently) but I felt old listening to this EP at times. So maybe this is for the younger generation who like their rock/metal more modern sounding to my advancing years.

Still, Tiberius have released a hugely enjoyable EP and it's one that I can see the Extreme Metal crowd worshipping from afar.

Words by Steve Howe

Links: